Monday, December 22, 2008

My Dad is Mr. Letter to the Editor

There's something revolutionary in writing a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.

Last quarter, I took History of American Journalism and heard lecture upon lecture on how the opinion pages of newspapers thrived as dialogue between editorial boards and community members.

In the end, this is what will probably save newspapers through the convenience of commenting on Web editions and on blogs. Heck, I get that same feeling when writing this blog that I'm sure revolutionists got in the early years of the American press and civil right activists got during the time of the black press.

Sometimes I feel like James Franklin only with a computer. It doesn't bother me if I get zero hits, just being out hear makes me think I'm contributing to a necessary public forum.

My dad, who has recently embraced the digital replacement form of letter to the editor in the company blog I manage, loves to write into local papers.

Here's his latest gem with a crafty pull quote, pasted from The Youngstown Vindicator's site.

This ran in print on Sunday Dec. 21. I'll just copy paste it for your reading pleasure.

EDITOR:

This time last year Johnson Rubber in Middlefield filed for bankruptcy. The company’s roots went back to 1895, predating GM. Their business was 70 percent auto related and much of their workforce came from the Trumbull County area. About 500 employees lost their jobs. Creditors lost millions, including my company. It was my decision, my risk, and ultimately my bad.

Rightly or wrongly nobody much cared about these people. Where was Governor Ted, Senator George, or Timmy Ryan? I don’t recall any editorial outrage or sympathy from the local talking radioheads. Not even a peep from Jim Graham.

Those against the loan are called names for being anti-labor. Personally, I’m anti-stupid.


Now with the shoe on the other foot we’re all supposed to rally around the GM/UAW flagpole. This combo has managed to lose $15 billion in the past two years or so. Now they want the taxpayers to give them a “loan” not supported with collateral or any guarantee that it will be paid back. Those against the loan are called names for being anti-labor. Personally, I’m anti-stupid. Some point to the financial industry bailout as precedent yet fail to see the difference. The financial mess was caused by our government and all those that run it. Of course they are going to cover their rears.

We have become a country that rewards incompetence. Our system re-elects leaders that don’t lead. We bail out the losers and tax the winners. Some motivation.

The fact is that GM has been bankrupt in all but name for years. The solutions to their problems need to come from within. Henry Ford knew he had to make a car people could afford to survive. My guess is that if GM/UAW and the retirees get down to it and made a $10,000 Cobalt you’d have these shifts humming along 24/7. And maybe some of the forgotten Johnson Rubber people could land a job.

TIMOTHY RYAN

Newton Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment